Monday, January 26, 2009

It’s Monday. How’re we doing?


Monday morning can be a drudgery for many. Or it can be an opportunity for a full week of productive effort. Our attitude and perspective can often determine our outlook.

“Monday Morning Men” is a group of mostly elderly and retired gentlemen at our Church who meet for coffee, sweet rolls, (most are Scandinavian) and Bible study, followed by several hours of working around the church on various maintenance projects. What a great way to begin the week.

On the other hand, today’s Washington Post contains an article by columnist Robert J. Samuelson which suggests that our new President and elected leaders are facing the economic equivalent of enduring a back-to-back Ironman triathlon and Tour de France if they want to overcome the three financial monsters we face (consumer spending collapse, financial and credit collapse and our trade imbalance crisis). Not a positive beginning for the week.

However, this, in a sense, is the ongoing challenge for those of us who are followers of Christ and who also must live, work and raise families in this culture and in this world. Every day we are immersed in the often conflicting compellings of practicing our faith while we live our lives.

I’m learning to really appreciate the Lutheran perspective on faith and living. In fact, I’ve already alluded to it in a previous post. Lutherans believe that there are, at the basic level, two factors involved in faith living (or living the faith, if you will): justification and vocation.

In other words, we are justified (“restored” in God’s eyes) by God’s grace alone, and then our vocation is to live out our faith as God calls us to do. This oversimplifies, of course, but the model holds for me.

So, how does our Monday look? Let’s be busy in our vocation and trust God for the possibilities.

4 comments:

jessica said...

After that how can I not reply that my Monday is good. In fact, my Monday is wonderful. To be able to live a life free to celebrate my love of God through my actions is a joy I cannot put words to. Yes, there are times I forget this. Or maybe it isn't that I forget it as much as I don't honor the priveledge I have. Thank you Roger for reminding us of how GREAT our Mondays can be. Let us all live every day as a Monday, ready to Praise and Love the Lord through how we embarq upon our journey of life.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jessica, for great insight in your comment and for a wonderful perspective. Btw, not to complicate your life, but have you ever considered seminary? I've seen you at work with youth, and you sure have a heart and capacity for ministry in your vocation!

Anonymous said...

For a couple of years Iwas in a Business Men's Bible Study called TGIM instead opf TGIF.

Still not sure how I qualified to get into a Christian Business Men's Bible Study.

You will have to decide which of the 3 descriptive names was questionable.

Anonymous said...

Vegas odds are on "Business Man" but my personal bet would be on "study".