Monday, February 02, 2009

Where Did the Week Go?


I can’t believe it’s been a full week since I last posted. There must be something out of whack when you’re retired and time seems to fly faster than when you were working full time. Or do we just “slow down” when we age, and the passing of time is simply relative?

When we lived in California and asked the question “Where’d the time go?” the popular answer was “Aromas” (pictured is a farm there, and, btw, score ten points – other than Californians – if you know where it is). In Oregon, the response was, “Heppner” (anyone know where that is?). Here in Washington I’ve heard both “Humptulips” and “Forks” as west of the Cascades replies; on the east side “Edwall” comes to mind (watch for a comment soon to appear below).

All are real places where, supposedly, due to their remoteness and lack of connection with urban activity, time is not perceived as being a factor in daily life. I suppose we could spend much too much of that precious commodity trying to figure out if it’s us who are slowing down or time which is speeding up.

My father used to often observe that “time waits for no person” (he actually said, “time waits for no man” but I’ve “gender-neutralized” it to be hip and bring it up to date). No matter, though; time is still getting away from me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is only 1 person alive who probably has had their picture taken with the Edwall highway sign, the Red Datsun with the Ed Wall liscense plate and Ed Wall himself.

To help all of the senior citizens in the State of Washington figure out who it was here is a clue: My name is Ed Wall - I used to own a red Datsun - I know Edwall is just west of Spokane, Washington.

Hope these clues help.

Anonymous said...

Why don't you email me the pic (if you still have it) and I can add it to the post to verify your bold claim?