Sunday, August 10, 2008

Whale Watching Near Victoria B.C.


Today four of us went whale watching on the Straits of Juan De Fuca near Victoria, B.C. Pictured above is a large male Killer Whale (a.k.a. Orca) that I caught with my telephoto lens. We were actually about 150 yards from the gorgeous mammal. Click on the photo for a larger image.

My old college buddy Dwight Klassen and his wife, Lynnette, are here from Discovery Bay, California visiting Kay Lynne and me for a few days to celebrate the beginning of Dwight’s and my eighth decade on this earth. Our birthdays fall within five weeks of each other. And that’s all I’ll say about that, except to add that we’ve known each other for 52 years.

We went out with Puget Sound Express, the whale watching company that originates out of Port Townsend on the Olympic Peninsula. The day was unusually calm and in a very rare occurrence, all three resident Puget Sound Orca pods – J pod, K pod and L pod – were out together enjoying a Sunday afternoon frolicking on the water.

Pic is Dwight and Lynnette on the boat with the Canadian shoreline in the background.

It was a wonderful, invigorating experience enjoying the incredible scenery, the lazy ocean swells and dozens of one of the most beautiful creatures God has created. A day we will not soon forget.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have joined you guys cruising the islands and watching whales. Unfortunately, I was too young to join you, but I was there in spirit. Enjoyed the story and photos. I've spent a good deal of time in those waters, fishing and traveling around the Gulf Islands. I also played a music job on one of those islands back in my "musician" days. Anyway, "Happy Birthday", you old baggars. I only wish I was more than six months younger than you two.

Ralph

Anonymous said...

Well, "youngster", we'll just have to do it maybe on your big one. We all missed you and Gayle as well. But it was a great way to celebrate a significant occasion.