Saturday, August 16, 2008

His Eye Is On The Sparrow

When, with a thankful heart, I read this story on my son Gregg's blog, I was reminded of the late, great, jazz, pop and sacred vocalist from yester-generation, Ethel Waters (pictured).

After a career as a jazz/pop singer, on Broadway, and also in Hollywood films, she often sang at Billy Graham crusades later in her life. Her most famous song, and of which I was reminded when I read Gregg's blog post, was the spiritual, His Eye Is On The Sparrow.

In her unique style -- sort of half-singing and half-speaking, but with deep emotion -- she would go through the verses. You would cling to every word as her eyes twinkled and she smiled to accentuate the words.

The song ends with these lyrics, and she would sing it this way: "For His eye is on the sparrowwwww... and I KNOW... He watches... YOU." And then she would smile from ear-to-ear and wink, pointing directly at the audience.

I thought of dear Ethel Waters, once again, when I read Gregg's story. Thanks be to God.

No comments: