Monday, April 23, 2007

Chancing Upon the Numinous


Until recently, I was relatively unfamiliar with the term “numinous”. I heard it used again in an adult ed class at church, and, interestingly, the context made the word even more convoluted in my mind. (The mind is one of the few places where you can convolute things.)

I have since discovered that German theologian Rudolf Otto first coined the term 90 years ago in his book, Das Heilige.

I am purposely avoiding defining the term for you, because it’s an interesting exercise to check your favorite source and discover for yourself what it means.

I will offer a clue: if you’ve ever been in a situation where you became aware that there might be more going on than what your five senses were perceiving, you may yourself have come into contact with “the numinous”.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roger, this very much sounds like a "Lutheran" term for "Nonsense"!

"Nonsense" is, of course, often more than the 5 senses can sense, if senses could sense sence!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Look out for the lightning bolt. You may be calling the divine "nonsense".