Saturday, March 31, 2007

No Way to Vicariously Experience This

I went out in front of the house about dusk tonight to let our dog Buddy perform his ritualistic necessities.

The open-air ambiance was almost indescribable. Let me try to set the tone for you.

Spring flowers are in bloom, giving off their fragrant bouquet. Freshly cut lawns are emitting their own perfumes. The earth has been tilled, releasing enzymatic aromas into the air.

Light, pungent smoke from a beach campfire was wisping by. And the distinctive whiff of the salt water below provided the perfect accent.

Inhaling deeply almost made me giddy. The crisp, cool and moist evening air, full of the sum of the fragrances, is something I’m not sure can be replicated anywhere else. At the least, it’s a northwest treasure.

And I’m fortunate enough to live here.

I wish everyone could have the chance to awaken their senses in this fashion. Because there’s no way to experience it vicariously.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have just shipped you something that will take care of those various "odors"!