Sunday, March 04, 2007

More On Faith Perspective

I just could be the “slowest” person ever, at times, when it comes to understanding the scriptures.

This morning, for instance, a light suddenly went on for me while I was in our adult education class. As I’ve thought about it through the day, I’m trying to figure out why I didn’t see it before.

Could it be I just (subconsciously) ignored it? Could it be our fresh, mainline Lutheran perspective? Could it be our recent switch to reading the NRSV Bible?

I’m not sure which, if any of these at all, are responsible. But I know the light came on.

From my youth I was taught that, according to Romans 12:1 (KJV), we should “present our bodies (as) a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is our reasonable service.”

For years I struggled with the manner in which this might be accomplished. Does this mean that I am restricted to be a monk? Or a preacher? Or a missionary? Or was it ok to be just a regular lay person? What IS the meaning of this verse?

Sermons I’ve heard on the text haven’t helped.

Well this morning our class (a Lenten series on discipleship habits) was about worship, one such practice. And once again, the Romans 12 text was recited.

But this time Romans 12:1 was quoted from the NRSV: “I appeal to you therefore, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship” (bold mine).

Wow. The "pressure" is off. This verse is not focusing on the presenting of our bodies as a sacrifice, it is instead giving us a guide to how we should worship. To me (and to the way I process truth and practice the faith) this is a distinction of significance.

In reality, it may be just a distinction. But whether or not it’s a new faith perspective or a new Biblical translation, today’s small insight will refresh, enhance and enliven my faith journey.

At last, I’m gradually getting free of past encumbrances in the understanding of the scriptures.

Thanks be to God.

No comments: