Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Kicked Out of the Playoffs

The photo above shows the Chicago Bears’ winning field goal in overtime this past Sunday, which literally kicked our Seahawks out of the playoffs (I’m still grousing about the whole thing, but I’ll get over it).

What’s interesting to me about the picture is that it was taken by my second cousin Tina (daughter of Chicagoland cousin Larry Brooks and wife Deb) who was at the game with her husband, Jose. They were just married this past year (and I hear a new little Bears fan is on the way).

If you look carefully (click on the above pic to produce a larger image), you can see the ball just going past the right goal post on its way through the uprights.

That’s Tina and Jose at left, braving the harsh Soldier Field cold to enjoy the game. The win for the Bears made their inconveniences all worthwhile for them, but up here in the Northwest we still have questions.

Like why didn’t the Seahawks act like defending NFC champs and hold their lead at the end of the game? And why, when given the ball TWICE within the last few minutes with the score tied, couldn’t they move the ball close enough for a field goal? And finally, after winning the toss in overtime and receiving the ball AGAIN, why couldn’t they move the ball close enough for a kick?

And, by the way, who made those two awful “Alexander up the middle” calls on fourth down? Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren is a former FORTY NINER offensive coordinator. Remember the flat pass? Throw it to a back and let him run with it. O well, now I’m getting worked up.

Thanks, Tina, for the great photos.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Roger,
We Bears fans are very greatfull to Mikes Seahawks in not converting at the end of the game... Remember we haven't had anything going here since SuperBowl XX and Ditkas Monsters of the Midway. I think I mentioned I call this Lovey Smith Bears team the Barely Bears. Well if they still keep barely winning... Hmmmmm I guess a win is a win.
By the way I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with Mike Singeltary(have you heard Mikes testamony of faith to Christ) at a Bill Glass prison outreach that I rode my motorcycle into the Cook County prison yard in minnistery. I also did the excavating work for the Great Bears Walter Paytons homes tennis court. Now they were BEARS.
See ya, Cousin Larry