Monday, February 13, 2006

Great Weather Turns Thoughts to…

In the northwest, a week of spring-like weather in the middle of winter can quickly turn a man’s thoughts to… fishing! (I did NOT forget Valentine’s Day, just to keep things in perspective.)

The weekly emails from Fishing and Hunting News keep reminding me of all the great nearby lakes where they’ve planted some monster 5-lb hybrid trout (I know, I know, but you’ve still gotta CATCH ‘em.)

And then there are the fertile reservoirs along the Columbia River system just east of the Cascades that hold spunky rainbows, winter steelhead and even walleye, all on the prowl right now. Of course that doesn’t even mention neighboring western Washington coastal rivers that are still giving native steelhead a route home to spawn. It’s enough to drive a fisherman crazy.

The boat I got last year is too big and heavy to drag a long way (it’s mostly for nearby Puget Sound salmon fishing), so it’s not quite time to pull it out of its winter slumber under the canvas and get it ready to go.

For this reason, I’m starting to think it might be better to have a lighter, smaller aluminum boat that I CAN drag most anywhere easily and quickly. In fact, I’ve even peeked at a few online ads (please don’t mention this to my wife; she already thinks I’m nuts regarding boats :-).

I don’t know how far in that direction my idea will take me, but maybe in the short term my fishing longings will defer to “sell the boat I have and get an aluminum one” deliberations.

Maybe that’ll keep me from thinking about what I can’t easily do right now (go fishing) due to other vastly more important concerns.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought you would be selling your boat to give "scads of money" to the local Rescue Mission!

Roger Koskela said...

Too bad my boat isn't worth "scads of money", but I like your thinking.