Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Altered Lives

We’re anxiously anticipating the arrival, sometime next week, of our new dog Buddy. And though he’s not even here yet, he is already altering our lives.

But first, his life was altered today, and now his wonderful pedigree will remain only on paper (no pun intended). I found myself wondering how his surgery went and if he’s ok. I’m looking forward to an email yet tonight or tomorrow with a report on his condition.

The surgery was also expected to make him even more mellow than he already is. I know for sure that for the next few days he’ll be extremely mellow – and slow moving. However, the vet says that in a week he’ll be back to normal – well almost, at which time he can travel to his new home here in the Evergreen State.

Today I also booked my wife’s planned trip late next month to visit her sister-in-law in Illinois. I had originally thought of going along or maybe taking a business trip with an old college buddy while she was gone.

Wait a minute – we’re getting a dog! Will it be too soon, when she leaves, to leave Buddy alone with someone else? So, I decided to stay here with the dog to continue the bonding process. I can’t think of a better “sacrifice”.

On the flip side, if Buddy has bonded extremely well with us by then, I suppose I could decide at the last minute to join my wife for part of the trip at least. Our son and his wife, who live a ferry boat ride away, have indicated they’d like to “dog sit” in such cases, if their time permits.

So, we’ll just play it by ear, and go with the flow, as they say. For now, we’re just looking forward to Buddy’s arrival.

No comments: