Tuesday, June 02, 2009

End of School Nearing for Granddaughters


Last night we enjoyed a High School Band Concert in Oregon. Granddaughter Talli played the trumpet in the freshman Band Year-End Presentation. A good part of the band is shown above; the performance was wonderful.

You can maybe pick out Talli in the top photo by looking at the photo at left (she’s on the far left); in the top photo she’s in the approximate center. In the photo above, two of Talli's childhood friends, Maressa (front) and Jared, are close by. Talli and Jared were born just a week apart, but all three have been friends for almost 15 years.

Following the band performance, (we left a while after the Freshmen had concluded) I was able to catch a softball doubleheader played by Gregg’s church team. They have what looks to be a good, competitive team; they won the first game by the 10-run rule, but unfortunately got a taste of their own medicine in the second game.


Gregg, at age 41, still looks like he can whack the ball, and he certainly did so a couple of times last night. As I look closely at his photo at left, I see some striking resemblances to his father’s batting stance some 35 years ago. But Gregg is a far better hitter and an astoundingly better fielder. Plus, he has one quality I never had: he can pick ‘em up and put ‘em down!

Baseball apparently is in the Koskela DNA. Music may not be. Talli apparently gets some of her musical gifts from her Grandma K. (a Keethler), and I’ve also heard that her Grandpa H. also plays a horn. Tonight we go to three more "year-end" events. More to come.

4 comments:

Gregg Koskela said...

Tell that son of yours to keep his weight back. Good grief.

Roger Koskela said...

Actually, "stance" was the incorrect word. You had already started your weight transfer (and swing) and it resulted in your second hit, a single or double, I think. I actually was trying to catch your swing, but I snapped too soon.

Gregg Koskela said...

I still think I should be back a lot more for where my bat is... :)

The "hitting machine" said...

Having played years of church league slow pitch softball I am a bit if an expert on the art of hitting.

It seems to me that Gregg is holding his bat on the wrong end. Just my observation.

The weight should actually always face east and south so that north and west can clear the hips. This was the secret to my church league slowpitch softball hitting success.

Uncle Ed