Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My Granddaughter Is A Track Winner


Today my wife and I went to an Oregon Middle School Track Meet to watch our granddaughter, Talli, 13 and in 8th grade, take part in an after-school triangular meet at the local high school.

Talli WON the 1500 meter run, then an hour later WON the 800 meter run, and then, to cap off the day, ran the anchor leg of the 4 x 400 meter relay as their team came in SECOND.

Now THAT’s a day of athletic competition!

In the photo Talli is approaching the finish line (where the guy at the far right is holding the tape) in her 1500 meter win. She was "pushed" down the stretch but had just enough left to stave off her challenger. The rest of the field was far behind and out of the picture. Click on the pic to see a very large image.

Talli’s time in the 1500 meters was 5:38.4, her best time ever in the event. She’s improving daily and hopes by the end of the year to get under 5:30 – a remarkable accomplishment if she can pull it off.

She now runs a mile in well under six minutes. I MAY have run a mile NEAR six minutes ONCE in my life in high school when I was in shape for Spring sports. That gives you an idea of how much better my granddaughter is. GO TALLI!

No comments: