Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Baseball Instead of Taxes

I went to a Seattle Mariners game last night, compliments of my son, even though it was the day before taxes are due.

What a marvelous contrast to previous years, when, on April 14, I’d be frantically trying to get my return off to the Feds. Because I’m a procrastinator.

This year, I finished the taxes two weeks early and was able to totally relax and focus on last night’s game. And that was in spite of the fact that the M’s lost to the Kansas City Royals, due mainly to one person – pitcher Zack Greinke. It seemed like all the M’s could do off of Greinke was hit ground balls to Royals second baseman, Mark Grudzielanek, who fielded 10 of them successfully, one short of the team record.

If Greinke continues to pitch the way he did last night (and in his two previous starts), look for him to be starting for the American League in the All-Star game in July. He gave up just one earned run over nine innings, and his ERA went UP!

EX-Mariner Miguel Olivo hit a 409-foot home run to add insult to injury. That just might be one more round-tripper than he hit in his two seasons with the Mariners.

All in all, however, for true baseball fans, it was a great, well-pitched game on both sides. One bad inning cost Jarred Washburn a chance for victory. The photo shows the Mariners' Ichiro in his famous “vertical bat stretch” just before each pitch.

The best part was that my son, Doug, provided the tickets to the game. He has a 10-game, two-seat, select season ticket package in the club level, and last night was my turn to go. What a fabulous place from which to watch a ballgame. The seats are somewhat sheltered from wind and weather (plus, the roof was closed last night due to inclement conditions), and even if you get chilly, you just walk a few feet back into the warm club facility and watch the game from there. Plus, you can order food right from your seat, and they bring it piping hot in just minutes.

THIS is the way to watch Major League baseball! Thanks, son.

2 comments:

Gregg Koskela said...

This frightens me. You were at peace at a baseball game, and I was doing MY taxes...

:)

Roger Koskela said...

Yikes. I don't think I'll comment on your comment, but then I just did, didn't I?