Friday, November 16, 2007

I Almost Feel Like A Turncoat

You’ve heard the sayings like, “I’m a Ford person.” Or “I’m a Chrysler person.” Or “I’m a Chevy person.” These are often life-long reflections that give clues as to who you are.

Yesterday I bought a CANON camera, and I almost feel like a turncoat. I’ve always been a NIKON person. As well as a FORD guy (although now my newer car is an import). And as well as a WINDOWS guy (rather than a MAC person). You get the picture.

So why did I come home with a Canon EOS Digital Rebel SLR XTi (photo) when I left home with the full intention of buying a NIKON D40x Digital SLR? I’m still asking myself that question.

Seriously, I’m thrilled with the new camera. It has 10.1 megapixels (enough to create up to 12 x 16 prints) in its CMOS sensor and DIGIC II image processor (ask my son Gregg what that means). What it is, in layman’s terms, is a sophisticated computer that takes very high quality digital images in almost any situation.

It’s true that I’ve always been a Nikon person. In my business life, back in the “old days,” I used professional cameras for photo journalism, portraits and scenics. Back then, Nikon was king for professionals. I still have a classic Nikon “F” black body and a full “FM” system with lenses and accessories. Of course these were 35mm SLR film cameras, now considered to be virtually “obsolete.”

But yesterday, when I compared my current needs against both brands, the Canon comes out a clear winner. I no longer need “professional” usage. I want to be able to take great quality digital pictures at family gatherings, on trips and perhaps on short term missions ventures in the future.

For these usages, there is no question that the Canon offers significantly more in features and capabilities within the price range and category I was looking. Dave Guinn at Kenmore Camera spent several hours with me in guiding my decision with excellent, professional advice.

My Canon came with an 18-55mm zoom lens (the equivalent of 27-80mm in the old 35mm film format) for normal usage. This covers wide-angle to portrait focal lengths. I also got a 70-300mm telephoto zoom (105-450mm in old 35 terms) for long shot capabilities.

Admittedly, for the very high end professional applications, Nikon still may wear the ultimate crown, especially their lenses.

Soon, I hope to be spending considerable time outdoors in the grandeur of the picturesque Northwest, fortified with my new Canon armor. I’m glad, however, that my tech-savvy sons are going to be here for Thanksgiving so they can explain to me how to use this awesome, but intricate, contraption.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear "Canon" convert! (Please excuse me for using the word "Convert")

Had you been smart enough to have a 35MM Canon camera in the past and an excellant set of lenses then when you purchased your new Canon SLR you would have been able to use your 35MM lenses, as they are inter-changeable.

I know this first hand!

However, not everyone has the "inate common sense" that some of us have thus their is a market for "over-priced" NEW lenses.

Enjoy your new toy!

Anonymous said...

While some of us have "inate camera sense" not all of us know how to spell or how to use the correct spelling, when different, of the same sounding word.

Thus, the word "their" in the last paragraph should have been "there".

I would like to thank one of the smartest people I have ever met, Ed Wall, for pointing out this in-aacuracy that was contained in the obviously accurate statement of the last paragraph.

Anonymous said...

Yo, camera man.. I respectfully suggest that you err on at least the latter count. On the first comment, being a Nikon person, I would never have bought a Canon in the old days. Nowadays, it really doesn't matter because NONE of my old Nikon lenses work correctly in the new D40x, which is a prime reason that switching brands was of no effect (I would have had to buy all new lenses with either brand). On the latter point, regarding the "their" there, your friend Ed Wall probably needs to retake bonehead English grammar. And, BTW, there is no "their" there in the last paragraph, so I assume you were referring to the SECOND to the last paragraph, where "their" is used correctly (possessive case). But I very much appreciate your responses. In fact, it's good to get ANY responses. :-)