Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Simple – and Complex


I’m in the middle of reading a book right now which I wish would have been written back in the dark ages when I was a college student. The book is penned by my emerging favorite religious studies author, N. T. Wright, the Anglican Bishop of Durham, England.

It’s called Simply Christian, with the subtitle, Why Christianity Makes Sense.

The classic book of this genre when I was heading into adulthood is C. S. Lewis’ Mere Christianity. According to many, Simply Christian, in time, may even surpass the Lewis masterpiece as a standard.

I don’t know what it is about Wright’s style that is so appealing. Perhaps it’s his distinctively British manner, which seems to make his thoughts feel fresh. Or it may be the perspective of his expertise on the Hebrew/Jewish culture and its influence on Biblical writings – a perception often either taken for granted or skimmed over.

Whatever the case, I’m really into it. No doubt there’ll be more about this book in future posts on this blog.

No comments: