Thursday, June 14, 2007

Hail To Talli and the Intermediate School Bands

There’s a music/band teacher in the Yamhill County Intermediate Schools in Oregon who isn’t paid enough – no matter what his salary is.

Two nights ago, on Tuesday evening, David Sanders directed five school bands in their year-end concert, and it was a “bravo” performance.

My seventh-grade granddaughter Talli (top left in photo) played the trumpet in both the Advanced Jazz Band and the Intermediate Band.

These kids didn’t acquiesce to easy renditions. They took on Rossini’s William Tell Overture (took me right back to my Lone Ranger radio and TV days as a kid), Howard Shore’s Lord of the Rings Theme, and the jazzy Blues Brothers Revue.

All were well performed. As I told Talli after the concert, I’ve heard many high school bands who did not sound as well.

The local high school band director’s gotta love Mr. Sanders.

No comments: