Monday, July 07, 2008

What Did It Mean When Christ Said, “Take MY Yoke Upon You… (For It) Is Easy, and My Burden Is Light”? Perhaps Not What You Might Think.

In our worship, once again this past Sunday, we got a fresh perspective on some familiar Scripture verses. Who of us hasn’t heard Jesus’ oft-quoted words in Matthew, chapter 11, verses 28-30:

“Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Most of us, from our western-world, “feel good” approach to the faith, have interpreted this verse to mean that “if we trust Jesus, he will in some way partially carry our life’s load, and therefore our own burden will be much less” – or something like that.

We often like to view our faith as something that can make our lives better, or maybe easier, when the truth is that the call to discipleship is usually anything but comfortable. But it appears Jesus was focusing on something else.

Our Pastor pointed out in his sermon that, in context, the “yoke” that Jesus was talking about was actually the Jewish law – and the inability of humans to keep it perfectly. Instead, what Christ was offering was his provision of salvation – a much lighter and easier-to-bear “yoke” – freely provided.

The sermon was another in the wonderful Lutheran perspective of emphasizing the incredible Grace of God and how this Grace extends to all. This passage of scripture will now forever be, for me, a refreshing and encouraging support for living out that Grace. Thanks be to God.

No comments: