Monday, June 02, 2008

My Trophy Fish


I got some good news today by email. The mounting of the 17-lb Brown Trout I caught in Lake Michigan a year ago is about finished and almost ready for shipping from Wisconsin (it's shown in above pic – I love the “blood-drip” look).

To get a relative idea of the actual size, it’s about the length of a yardstick from tip to tail. This fish is the third largest Brown the taxidermist has ever worked with, and he’s mounted the Wisconsin state record Brown. It was the second largest Brown my guide, Fritz Peterson, had ever landed.

Known officially by its latin name, salmo trutta morpha lacustris, the Brown trout is native to northern Europe (including Finland, hmmmm…) and, in actuality, exists in two versions of the same species.

In addition to the “lacustris” strain (lives in lakes, spawns in rivers) which mine is, there is also an anadromous strain (lives in ocean, spawns in rivers or lakes), kind of like a sea-run cutthroat. How they got to our continent is anyone’s guess, but some say the fish actually migrated here via ocean currents. That makes it one hearty fish species.

I hear my trophy will be “finely tuned” and ready to ship in a week or three, so now all I have to do is to decide where to place it in our home. One of the spots I think would be nice is right over the entrance to my office.

“Over my dead body,” my wife informed me.

No comments: