Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Boat Search Changes Course (Again)

Well, they couldn’t reach the owner of the boat on which I made an offer, and it’s turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

An outstanding nearby outboard engine mechanic whom I’ve gotten to know once advised me, “NEVER buy a newer boat with an old engine”. And of course that’s exactly what I was doing (note previous blog post).

Fortunately for today’s developments, I won’t make that mistake.

When I called today to see if they had reached the owner to find out if he would accept my offer, they were negative. But, they said, in the meantime why don’t you consider a slightly older boat of the same make but with much newer Mercury engines? Suddenly it clicked what my mechanic friend had warned.

“How much more?” I asked (a better overall boat is ALWAYS more). Only a couple grand, they said. Yikes.



Well, to make a long story short, I dickered, wailed and moaned, feigned impending divorce, and just plain begged. Nothing worked especially well, but all together I was able to get the price down to a point we could finally agree on. Picture is above.

This boat is a foot longer than the other one, doesn’t look quite as good but has a much newer monster main engine and a late model kicker motor (for trolling). It’s perfect for Puget Sound as well as for “trouting” in nearby lakes. And it’s light enough that I should be able to launch it totally by myself, if I desire.

Now I have just a few days (before I must finally commit) to convince my wife that this is a wise decision. In truth, she’s a wonderful, understanding help meet, and I’m fortunate to have her.

No comments: