Saturday, June 17, 2006

Bay Area N.L. Baseball Comes to Puget Sound




The guy on the left connected today. The guy above did not. But all the talk here in the Seattle area is about the guy above.

Baseball wags around Puget Sound were lathering at the mouth today, contemplating where Barry Bonds might play next year. For years I have thought that Bonds and the Giants were inseparable.

But I’m not at all sure now, after watching the Giants play today at Safeco Field (thanks to the graciousness of my cousin Joel Narva who shared one of his multiple-game package seats). This was the first opportunity for me this year to watch my beloved Bay Area team in person.

The Orange and Black today looked like the old men they are. I had a hard time finding a starter who wasn’t pushing 40 or over it.

Oh, Barry does what he has to do to get the job done. He even started in left field last night (and homered) instead of being the DH, which he usually is in American League parks.

But what really shows, in a day game after a night game, is how old the Giants actually are. They played today like exhausted old warriors – and lost, 8 - 1, partly due to Richie Sexson’s (the guy on the left, above) long center field home run.

So if Barry is going to play another year – which he’ll likely have to do if he’s going to catch Hank Aaron for the all-time HR record – it’s becoming apparent to me that he just may have to do so as a DH in the American League.

I, too, will join the wags and say that I'd love to watch the home run chase here in Seattle next year.

No comments: