Thursday, December 22, 2005

Can You Help Us Choose A Dog?

















Kay Lynne and I have not yet made a final decision as to whether or not we're going to get a dog. We're strongly leaning that way (me mostly) but "the jury is still out".

We've had several dogs before, but the reasons for getting one now are quite different from before. As retired people, the primary reason now, of course, is companionship and fun. Additionally, I'd like a "tag-along buddy" to go with me in the car on errands, in the boat when fishing, and on walks, etc. as I'm able. We've had a sheltie and a lab but never a King Charles Spanel.

The priorities for me (KL will go along with "any of them", she says), in order of importance, are: a) a "buddy" and "tag-along", b) a "laid back" dog rather than a "hyper" dog, c) bonding and sociability with the entire family including granddaughters and theirs and other dogs, d) "controllable" friendliness with visitors, and e) that it be a medium sized dog (to the smaller rather than larger). These are not "in concrete" but are preferences.

If we decide to go ahead, the three dogs we've identified as all being acceptable for us are (top to bottom) Buster, the Sheltie, JoBob the Golden Retriever, and Rudy, the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. The Sheltie is two years old, the Golden is a year, and the Cav is almost a year, so they're all beyond the impetuous puppy stage. The problem is, WE (I) CAN'T MAKE A SELECTION! They're all wonderful in their own way.

Given our priorities, if I had to choose today, it would be Rudy the Cav. My only hesitation is that we've never had this breed, and I'm not sure I'm a "cute dog" person (in contrast to a "sporting buddy" person). I'm beginning to conclude from online info and breeders, however, that the Cav can also be a "sporting buddy".

If any of you have breed experience with any of these dogs, or just general dog knowledge, I'd appreciate your comments AND your vote in the comments link. I/we need something outside of ourselves to help us make a good choice. Thanks much.

8 comments:

Gregg Koskela said...

The management is unable to comment. Said refusal to comment is no admission of guilt or whether a particular dog or any dog belongs in said household.

(And I posted a link.)

Aj Schwanz said...

I think puppy number 3 is adorable. I mean, the owners liked it enough to put on a red bow: that's *gotta* say something. :)

I've always had big dogs, but I think I'd rather go little than medium: medium dogs says more that the owner couldn't decide . . . then again . . .

The Scottish in me decides by money: which one's cheaper? (Food-wise, picking-up-the-poo-wise, etc.)

Anonymous said...

I would suggest that you get a dog that is comfortable in the following arenas:

Lutheran
Presbyterian
Orthodox
Non-Denominational
Definately not Baptist
Possibly Catholic
Free Methodist
Friends
or whatever lies ahead!!!!!

Our dog is Reformed for the time being but this weekend will be Covenant-orientated.

Other than that, a "mutt is a mutt"!!

EW

Roger Koskela said...

HO, HO, HO, EW. Very funny. BTW, if your "mutt" Bailey is "reformed", what's she reformed from? Last I recall she was still a scamp and a love peddler :)

el fantastico said...

based purely on aesthetics, and not opening any sort of marital or theological cans of worms, i go dog #2.

Sugar said...

What does a baptist dog look like? :)

Roger Koskela said...

Like it just came out of the water? Although maybe EW should explain :-)

Anonymous said...

This is nancy, not michael, my first blog response ever. It seems safe enough though.
dog #1 is going to require grooming. I just had my fluffy dog shaved because she got too matted. (She's a little depressed right now). An indoor dog won't be as bad, but budget for grooming every month with this one.
dog #2 will probably like lots of exercise. Harder to take in the car on your road trips. Bigger poo to pick up too!
dog #3 I've been around a Cav and I can tell you it's like having a child. Needs lots of attention... and grooming.

Ask if #1 likes water?